Friday, March 06, 2009

What they don't want you to know

I like clean. Clean makes me happy. The process for the most part I don't mind, but there are things that drive me crazy. Dusting. It seems to be never ending. I use my swiffer mit and wipe away the dust, but when I'm done, there's still dust. Nooo go away argh. In this case I typically just wait for the sun to go away and I can go back to not being able to see it.

The stove is another story. The stove and I are not friends. I always spray BAM! on it in the morning and clean later that night. But it doesn't all come off. Depending how much time I have I can let it go, or I go into OCD overdrive. Last week it was the latter.

I decided I'd google it since I had good luck finding lemon pledge on stainless steel appliances this way. I came across a site that suggests using baking soda. I would have probably ignored it but she claims that 'with a little elbow grease it'll come right off. And I do mean a little'. I was intrigued. I got out the baking soda box and gave it a go. And wow. It really did work. Craziness.

I then went on a baking soda cleaning binge and was surprised by how great in general it worked. The sinks sparkled, the stained white plastic garbage can that refused to get clean became white, and the fridge was clear and white once again. It was great.

But who knew?? Sure, the baking soda box says you can use it to clean, but there are no commercials on how great it cleans so I didn't believe them. And that's how they like it. They don't want people realizing there's a cheap, environmentally friendly cleaner without an awful smell that works really well or else their other more expensive products wouldn't sell.

The next day at work I tell my coworkers who sit near me about this. The guy tells his mom this later that night. She claims I'm wrong, that it doesn't clean well. My other coworker's mom thinks I'm young and foolish and I don't know what I'm talking about and refuses to try it. *tear*

I also wrote my dad a big long email about the wonders of baking soda and he responds with enthusiasm. He is in awe of such a discovery and had no idea. The next time he's out shopping he picks up a fresh box of baking soda and tries it out. He was surprised at just how well it worked and actually enjoyed cleaning for a change. I was happy to finally share my happy cleaning experience with somebody.

This post is longer than my valentine's day post. I take this to mean cleaning is more fun than quinoa. *shakes head* Also, I love saying BAM! like in the commercials. It's so much fun. In other news, I just found a wicked looking split end which I've decided I will give as a gift to my coworker as a going away present. It's sad, but I'm not even joking. I will probably end up making some sort of splitting ways joke too. Hilarious, I know.

3 comments:

  1. Please remove this post immediately. The WCA (World Cleaning Agency) has been working tirelessly for decades to suppress the dangerous knowledge that baking soda is the only household cleaning product one needs. Whether it be through the funding of various scientific agencies, forcing them to extol the virtues of the cleaning products of the major cleaning conglomerates, or bribing kindly Asian and/or Greek women to deny the greatness of baking soda, the WCA has been on track to eradicate the world of the very thought of baking soda as a cleaner. Until today. You, Mrs. Atlas Meowed, have set their cause back thirty years, and you must pay. Watch your back. Trust no one. If you don't remove this post, bad things will start happening.

    It's true, baking soda is the most amazing product mankind has discovered, and you don't even know the half of it. Yes, it can get rid of that pesky grime in a shower stall, a rust stain in the kitchen sink, or even cure malaria in the third world. This product could change the world. But this secret must remain with a chosen few. You must stop your investigation, and shut that dirty little trap of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. baking soda? is ALSO an effective odour stopper! i just realized this myself! genius! cleaners...who needs them?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As your roommate, I will testify that our place is sparkling clean!! I feel guilty using the stove in case it gets the slightest bit dirty. Actually I feel guilty about using the kitchen and the living room in general because they look so good.

    ReplyDelete